My husband has officially turned us into cave people. I am the first to admit that my cheese head tendencies make me want to do the Atkins version of low carb eating. But I know that the Paleo lifestyle is much healthier.
I come from a big Italian family where bread, pasta, butter, and cheese runs through our veins. But I also know that all of those refined carbohydrates are terrible for us. Boooo!
To help with inspiration, we watched Super Size Me last night. Neither of us are McHeads but it was eye-opening anyhow. Morgan’s vegan girlfriend cracked me up and I was happy that in the end, he was going back to protein (read: meat!).
I am going to give this a real shot. Especially since we are joining a challenge at our gym where we will be required to weigh in weekly for the next 3 months. Having to be accountable to someone is helpful. I don’t want to say that I didn’t lose a pound because I was snacking on cheese and crackers for the past week!
With this new way of eating in mind, I made a kale salad today. I first tried it at People’s Market in Ocean Beach, CA and thought it was good. Here is how I prepared it:
2 bunches of kale
2 tomatoes on the vine
2 green onions
1 ripe avocado
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
kosher salt to taste
juice of two lemons
- Wash the kale thoroughly, then drain. Remove most of the middle stalk with a knife, then chop the leaves down to about 1″ size. Place in large bowl.
- Chop the tomatoes and green onions, set aside.
- Juice two fresh lemons, set aside.
- Drizzle olive oil over kale and massage the kale until it is less rigid.
- Add salt, massage.
- Add the avocado, continue to massage the avocado into the kale to coat the leaves.
- Add the tomatoes and green onions and mix together.
This can be served immediately or placed in the refrigerator and served later. It’s so good that it just makes me want to continue to eat healthy!
- 50 Paleo, Low-Carb & Health Blogs (liberationwellnessblog.com)
- Lose the Paunch with Paleo Nutrition (medcitynews.com)